May 4, 2010


Someone asked me the other day… “Why are you cooking with so many strawberries?” Well, the truth is, strawberries are the least expensive fruit I can find in the store locally. I can get a pound for .99 cents. You cannot beat that, and we really like strawberries.

We are oatmeal eaters too, so I wanted to find a way to make my very favorite oatmeal, which is strawberries and cream. Normally I buy the microwave version, but not this time. This recipe is soooo good that I will probably end up putting my microwave packets on the back burner or never buying them again.

What really makes this recipe is using half-and-half. The oatmeal turns out so rich and creamy which exactly what I look for in a good oatmeal recipe. You cannot go wrong with this if you like strawberries and oatmeal. You could really use about any hearty fruit in this recipe. Peaches my second favorite oatmeal would be great also.
(Serves four people... so they say! Ha!)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 pint strawberry
  • 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 4 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. Prepare strawberries. They should be hulled and thinly sliced.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and brown sugar and gently stir until all strawberries have sugar on them. Set aside.
  3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water and milk and salt to a boil. Immediately add the oats and reduce heat to medium. Stirring occasionally, allow to cook 5 to 6 minutes to desired texture.
  4. Add sour cream and stir in well, then add then add in half of the strawberries.
  5. Mix gently and divide into four bowls
  6. Top bowls with the additional strawberries
Print Friendly and PDF
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive