Apr 19, 2012


I have heard so many people say how great Kale Chips are that I have been dying to try them myself.  Last week I was at the farmers market and they had Kale for .75 cents a bunch. I figured I had nothing to lose except .75 cents so why not grab a bunch.

After what seemed like a long process of cleaning, removing steams, and drying the kale was ready to go. I placed the kale on two jelly roll pans and let it bake. The last 5 minutes of the baking process I added cheese. 

I must say that my initial reaction was MEH! It’s OK, but after a few more bites it really grew on me. I actually severed it along with dinner that night to get the reaction of everyone at the table. At first I was met with a lot of apprehension about even trying it. Let’s be honest it’s green and looks like spinach that crunches.

After a few bites everyone was hooked. By the time we left the dinner table there wasn’t one piece of kale left to be had. Now I have heard many many times kale chips being compared to potato chips, but I have to disagree on this one. I loved the kale chips and can’t wait to buy more, but I don’t see them ever replacing potato chips in our home.

My husband even suggested adding different types of cheese or even adding different seasonings. I think garlic would be awesome on this little leaves!

This was a fun experiment and I can’t wait to make them again, but they will never be (to me) as good as potato chips. They are certainly a fun snack to have and keep around the house.

For those of you think “Oh my kid would never try them” you might just be surprised to see those little hand sneaking a kale chip here and there. They really are that good!  

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 1 tsp. spray olive oil, vegetable oil (like Pam or Crisco)
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese or a cheese of your choice
  • A few dashes of salt
Directions:
  1. Wash your kale thoroughly to remove any sand or dirt that maybe lying within. Remove any stems that are thick (I used a knife and just followed along the steam to move it). 
  2. Tear each piece of kale into pieces the size of potato chips.
  3. Allow time for your kale to dry very well. (this is important if it’s not dry it won’t get crispy)
  4. When your kale is dry pre heat your oven to 350°F  
  5. Sprays your cookie or jelly roll pan with oil
  6. Place your kale in one single lay in each pan. (You don’t want to double up your pieces or they will not get crispy.) You may have to use multiple pans or make multiple batches in the oven.
  7. Then lightly spray the top of your kale with the oil and sprinkle with salt.
  8. Bake the kale for about 10 minutes then remove and add the cheese. Then proceed to bank another 5 minutes or so until it’s light and crispy.
  9. I will warn you to watch it very carefully because it can burn easily. 
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive