Dec 4, 2008




This is one of my favorite recipes. I don’t care what time of year it is hot or cold bring on my hearty chicken stew. This was a favorite of mine when I was a kid too. We would have it so often that finally my parents said NO MORE they were sick of it but I sure wasn’t!

I make this as often as possible. Unlike the recipe I normally just eye ball the veggies and the broth. I cut up enough veggies to fill up my pot. Normally I double the potatoes and triple the carrots and just add extra broth! I don’t even measure anymore because I have made it so often.

Originally this recipe was on a Tyson Chicken recipe card in the grocery store butcher area when I was a kid. Thanks Tyson for making me one happy kid!


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. of boneless chicken breast raw
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 potatoes
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 1 medium onion sliced
  • 16 oz. to 56 oz. of chicken broth or enough to fill to the top of your vegetables
  • 1 tbsp. of ketchup
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • ¼ tsp. thyme
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • ¼ tsp. Salt
  • Pepper a few dashes
Directions: 
  1. Cut chicken up into bite size pieces
  2. In a zip bag mix flour salt and pepper together then add chicken pieces and shake until the chicken is well coated. 
  3. Add butter to pot a 4 to 6 quart pot and melt.
  4. Add chicken to the pot. Cook chicken about 4 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned. 
  5. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside
  6. To the pot and remaining chicken drippings add celery and onion cook for another 3 minutes. 
  7. Return the chicken back to the pot
  8. Next add in the vegetables, salt, pepper, thyme, and ketchup.
  9. Also if any flour is remaining in the zip bag add the flour in for thickening
  10. Once everything is in the pot top off with chicken broth
  11. Bring to a boil then lower the temperature to a simmer
  12. Stir every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning.
  13. cook until vegetables are tender.
Print Friendly and PDF
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive