Feb 27, 2014



I had never heard of Pesto before in my life until the first time I went to Philadelphia. I was staying at a friend’s house and his mother asked me if I wanted her to pick up from fresh pesto from an Amish restaurant. I know I had to have looked at her like she lost her mind. She then said…. “What you don’t like pesto” my response to her was… “I don’t know…. I don’t know what pesto is” I could just hear Jeff Foxworthy saying…. Does it swim, does it fly, and did it walk yesterday? I was clueless!

When I got home and told my very Texan and Very Cajun Mom and Dad about trying pesto they looked at me like I was crazy no doubt they were hearing Jeff Foxworthy in their head too. Although my Dad never tried pesto and my Mom has yet to give it a try I have no doubt they would love it. I must say when I finally had it I loved it.

I ran into this recipe and although it’s a bit different from the original I love it. I have never made pesto before but I remembered I had some in the pantry so I thought this would be fun to try. This is a wonderful recipe if you love pesto. The flavors all mingle so well. Even my husband who isn’t the biggest fan of change loved it.


Yields: 3 Sandwiches
Ingredients:
  • 6 slices thick white or wheat sandwich bread
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • 3 tbsp. prepared pesto (I used Classico)
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp. Grated parmesan cheese
  • 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter
Directions:
  1. To a microwave safe bowl add 4 tablespoons of butter and allow to melt just enough to leave the butter nice and thick. Then to the warm butter mix add parmesan cheese and garlic powder mix well and set aside.
  2. Prepare each sandwich by adding one half to one tablespoon of pesto to one side of three pieces of bread. 
  3. Then top that slice of bread with a generous portion of mozzarella cheese. Then top each sandwich with a slice of bread and top the bread with a generous slathering of your butter mixture. 
  4. Warm a griddle on a medium heat, once it’s warm, place buttered side of the bread down then butter the new top side with your butter mixture. 
  5. Allow your sandwiches to slowly cook. You don’t want it to brown too quickly or your cheese will not melt but your bread will be too brown or burnt.  
  6. Once your cheese is melted remove and serve. 

Print Friendly and PDF
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive