Apr 19, 2014


I made this recipe for a get together we were invited to. Everyone was asked to bring, snacks, appetizers, finger foods, or dips.  I chose this dip and I am sure happy I did. One great thing about this recipe is it’s something you can make ahead of time. The longer it sets the better. I made it on Saturday and it was ready to go on Monday with just a quick stir and of course plating it.

This recipe makes a lot of dip. Far more than I was planning on I didn’t realize that the onions and shallots would give it so much bulk. At first I thought it was overkill but when I came one with an empty tray I knew it was a success. We loved it! I can’t wait to make it again!! Another great Guy Fieri recipe!!


Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (Do not use olive oil)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 Vidalia onions, sliced into 1/4-inch rings (about 4 cups)
  • 2 large shallots, sliced into 1/8-inch rings (about 1/2 cup)
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (I used Dukes for the lemon flavor)
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions:
  1. In a large sauté pan over low heat, add oil and butter. When butter is melted, add onions and sauté stirring occasionally until golden brown and caramelized, about 35 minutes. This is a slow process do not turn up the heat to make it go faster or you will lose the whole effect of caramelizing the onions. This is key to the recipe.
  2. Add shallots and sauté for 15 minutes more until onions and shallots are dark brown. 
  3. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 to 6 minutes (I stuck mine in the freezer for a few minutes) then chop into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, celery salt, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Fold in onion mixture. 
  5. Chill at least 1 hour or overnight, prior to serving. I would suggest overnight so that all the flavors can dance together!
Original Recipe Source

Print Friendly and PDF
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive