Nov 25, 2014




I had never had an acorn squash in my life but when I saw them on sale one day I knew I had to give them a try. They were so pretty and green that they called my name.

To my surprise an acorn squash taste a lot like a pumpkin. The texture and consistence are the same and the flavor is very close. The color is different inside and out and I have to admit I liked them more than I thought I would. I think more than even the acorn squash I loved the stuffing recipe. 

This recipe would be awesome all along! Forget the acorn squash if you don’t like squash and just make the stuffing. It makes an amazing presentation and taste divine!


Ingredients:
  • 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix (Uncle Ben’s)
  • 2-1/3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecan halves, toasted
  • 4 medium acorn squash
  • 3/4 cup water
Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, combine the rice with contents of seasoning mix, broth, sage and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté celery and onion in oil until tender. Stir in cranberries, and pecans. Remove from the heat. Stir in rice mixture.
  2. Cut squash in half widthwise. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each half so squash sits flat. Fill squash halves with about 1/2 cup rice mixture. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Pour water into pan.
  3. Coat one side of a large piece of heavy-duty foil with cooking spray. Cover pan tightly with foil, coated side down. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until squash is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
(Adapted) Original Recipe Source


Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive