Dec 14, 2012





This recipe really came in handy Thanksgiving afternoon. I realized about 2:30pm I forgot to buy Velveeta cheese for a casserole I was making to have with dinner. ALL of the grocery stores by my house closed at 2:00pm. I am always late!

I had wanted to try this recipe so the timing of finding this recipe was perfect. I had it saved waiting for the right moment. Who knew? I quickly and I mean quickly made this recipe up. I wasn’t concerned about refrigerating it because it was going to be melted in a casserole anyway, but it was imperative that it get done was.

Who knew it would be so easy to make your own American cheese? After making this up myself I don’t know that I will ever buy the pre-made/processed cheese again.  In cost alone this is worth making.

My American cheese loaf turned out fantastic!! Not only did it taste wonder (better than the name brand) but the texture was the same, the melting texture was the same, and it formed into a nice loaf too. I didn’t even have to refrigerate it for it to get hard. It was so fun and so ridiculously easy that it’s crazy!! I swear after I grated the cheese everything was done within minutes.

This recipe calls for whole milk powder, but I used the regular fat free powdered milk and had no problems with it. I didn’t see that it made a difference.


Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1½ teaspoons powdered gelatin
  • 12 ounces Colby cheese, shredded
  • 1 tablespoon whole milk powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
  • ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk

Directions:
  1. Line 5-by 4-inch disposable aluminum loaf pan with plastic wrap, allowing excess to hang over sides. 
  2. Place water in small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over top and let mixture sit for 5 minutes. Pulse cheese, milk powder, salt, and cream of tartar in food processor until combined, about 3 pulses.
  3. Meanwhile, bring milk to boil in small saucepan. Off heat, stir in softened gelatin until dissolved, and transfer mixture to 1-cup liquid measuring cup. With processor running, slowly add hot milk mixture to cheese mixture until smooth, about 1 minute, scraping down bowl as needed. 
  4. Immediately transfer cheese mixture to prepared pan, pressing to compact. Wrap tightly and chill at least 3 hours, or overnight.
Original Recipe Source


Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive