Jul 15, 2010

I love purple hull peas. To say they are a childhood memory would not be giving it enough credit. Shelling purple hull peas will always be a memory of time spent with my Dad. He was the king huller. A country Dad will always instill his instincts in his big city country girl. Good times and an amazing recipe.


I found this recipe on the purple hull festival website (Who knew?) This recipe was the first place winner by Christine Snider at the 2007 Purple Hull Pea Festival & World Championship. If anyone out there in cyber space knows Christine please pass on my information to her. I would love to tell her myself how much I love her recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 5-6 cups shelled purple hull peas
  • 6 oz. centercut smokey bacon (use a good brand)
  • Salt to taste
Directions
  1. Cut bacon into inch size pieces and lightly brown in a dutch oven or deep saucepan. Do not drain bacon grease.
  2. Add washed peas and enough water to cover plus one inch. Add 2 teaspoons salt.
  3. Boil over medium heat until tender (about 45 minutes).
  4. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Serve with hot, buttered cornbread.

Above recipe from the Emerson, Arkansas
PurpleHull Pea Festival & World Championship
Rotary Tiller Race Web site:



Bookmark and Share

Blue Star Applicances and Ranges

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts

Blog Archive